Patient care management system for RestorixHealth
Find out how we helped RestorixHealth effectively scale their business by developing a flexible, secure, and automated solution for managing patient care.
Period of collaboration
August 2019 – present
About the client
RestorixHealth is an award-winning US-based association that works in the durable medical equipment (DME) industry. For almost 30 years, the company provides advanced wound management and wound healing programs, primarily specializing in the most difficult cases. RestorixHealth also distributes medical products for wound care, urology, ostomy, and tracheostomy use cases, as well as for examining and diagnosing patients in the associated fields.
The company reached out to Yalantis to develop in-house patient case management software. The RestorixHealth team decided to extend its scope of operations in the DME industry. The previous platform was not able to meet new requirements and support additional workflows. Considering their plans for business expansion, the client decided to create their own patient care management software.
The solution had to provide clinical specialists, clinical managers, and customer service representatives with an automated, fast, and obstacle-free work environment. The scope of work for this project included the following:
- Create a reliable and flexible patient management platform and ensure its stable operation through the use of up-to-date digital technologies and development practices such as Microsoft Azure services, automated deployment techniques, and Extreme Programming best practices
- Create a fully automated development and testing environment to facilitate the patient care system’s maintenance, monitoring, and functionality enhancements
- Design a UI/UX that would significantly expedite the completion of regular tasks and help healthcare professionals conveniently track and monitor patient data
Research and analysis
The research and analysis stage comprised two phases:
- Analyzing the previous platform version to discover bottlenecks and roadmap product improvements. During the onboarding sessions with the client, we learned that users faced complications while performing basic tasks like maintaining clinical documentation, forming orders, and coping with medical billing.
- Drawing up a future platform. We analyzed existing features, figured out superfluous and necessary features based on end users’ feedback, and started drafting a new set of possibilities. The team aimed to streamline basic operations and evolve new components that would aid end users in their work.
Creating an optimized user interface and navigation flow
Our goal was to create an aesthetically pleasing user interface and use color hints to highlight mistakes, empty spaces, and warnings. We considered the client’s guidelines and lots of recommendations from end users to deliver a convenient and effective UI and UX.
Also, we came up with a navigation flow that allows users to:
- intuitively understand which steps to take next while performing regular tasks
- finish assignments quickly and easily without wasting time on unnecessary operations
Ensuring system performance, stability, scalability, and maintainability
To ensure the stable and high performance of the new integrated care management system, our developers took the following measures:
- implemented diverse code analysis techniques to identify bugs as well as check code adherence to standards, conventions, and user story requirements
- automated deployment to avoid human errors
- designed a modular monolithic architecture for transforming any module into a separate microservices if necessary
- enabled communication between the system and third-party services via secure HTTP calls or a message bus
- enabled system storage in the Azure cloud environment
- ensured that the platform securely stores private information about patients’ places of residence, insurance, and health conditions in the Azure Key Vault service
Eliminating bottlenecks in the user journey
The Yalantis team along with RestorixHealth specialists thought over all of the features we would enhance and which we would develop from scratch, such as verification of doctors’ and patients’ data and patient data synchronization.
The previous platform lacked essential functionality and sometimes had irrational flows and additional irrelevant steps required to complete simple tasks. Here’s how we solved this issue:
- Platform interlinking that gives instant access to necessary information about patients, their health statuses, and facilities.
- Smart system behavior. The system checks all records and notifies users of mistakes or procedures that require fine-tuning with pop-ups, hints and tips, notifications, and highlighted elements.
- User roles. We configured access levels for different departments, as this helped to streamline clinical specialists’ work.
- Patient roster. We simplified work with active patients and their needs. The system automatically lists patients with upcoming visits or prescription refills and places this list in a special tab inside the patient roster section.
- Automated email creation. Considering end users’ recommendations, we developed a time-saving method of sending out summary emails to facilities.
Data acquisition and management
Our client’s previous platform had limitations in some aspects of data management, and they posed difficulties for clinical specialists, who had to do a lot of time-consuming manual work to properly enter patient information. Below is how we eliminated these bottlenecks:
- Doctor enrollment and patient insurance validation. Clinical specialists now can check the validity of a doctor’s license and a patient’s insurance before forming an order.
- Data synchronization. We developed new rules for automatically synchronizing data among multiple systems involved in the client’s business flows. There is no need to refresh patients’ information manually.
- Unified terminology database. We came up with a unified and reorganized library of terms for wounds, diagnoses, and prescriptions.
The previous platform wasn’t designed to create orders at all. To make this component work inside a platform that wasn’t designed for order management, developers created a workflow that was loaded with unnecessary actions. We’ve implemented the following functionality to address these challenges:
- Order creation. We configured the sequence of events and reduced the number of steps and clicks required to complete an order.
- Order tracking and cancellation. We designed tools for tracking and canceling orders in real time via the platform.
Now, our client’s specialists use a modern system that offers a wide range of possibilities to automate their workflows, aids in averting mistakes, helps them complete sophisticated tasks fast, and is convenient for everyday use. Here are the results we achieved together:
Developed a patient care management system with robust scalability possibilities to increase our client’s business potential
Improved user experience to allow company’s personnel intuitively and quickly go through complex patient management process with the least possible effort
Optimized patient care workflow with instant access to any of the patient information, patient roster, error monitoring, and the possibility to send automated reports via email
Ensured automated data aggregation and management with synchronization between different business systems, quick clinician and patient identity verification
Provided simple order management functionality with real-time tracking and cancellation
Made sure the system has a seamless user interface and clear navigation
Ensured secure storage of sensitive patient data in the Azure cloud
Develop a secure patient care system tailored to the needs of your practice
We can build a standalone patient care system or an add-on functional module to your existing EHR or EMR software
Appointment scheduling system
An all-in-one doctor appointment scheduling platform
Cloud-based medical imaging system
A system for synchronizing medical images between medical equipment and an EHR system
Smartwatch integration for Healthfully
A solution for integrating fitness devices with a patient application